Our lips do more than provide a smile or a nice place to land a kiss. First, they help us in the articulation of sounds. Also, they play a large role in the food intake process while keeping what we want in and what we don’t want out. Though their various purposes may seem obvious, rarely do they receive an acknowledgment. Lips Appreciation Day is March 16th. Alamo Heights Dermatology makes it easier for you to protect and restore your kisser with some tips and a jaw-dropping special.
Protecting Your Lips
When it comes to your lips, most worry more about chapping and dryness than anything else. The truth is, the lips get a lot of sun exposure, so they need protection too. Some examples are:
- Remove dry, dead skin flakes by gently brushing your lips with a wet, soft toothbrush or washcloth at least once a week.
- Lips dry out often because they do not contain oil glands. Drink plenty of water during the day and try not to lick them.
- Lips are a common spot for skin cancers, so make sure your daytime lip product includes an SPF 15 or higher sunscreen. Also, keep in mind that masks do not provide sun protection, so you still need daily protection.
- Remember to reapply protective lip product every two hours, in particular after eating or drinking.
- Make sure you’re using the right products. EltaMD UV Lip Balm Broad-Spectrum SPF 36 combats skin aging and free radicals while providing powerful sun protection.
Restoring Your Lips
Who doesn’t want healthy, youthful-looking lips? Aside from the daily havoc they endure, the aging process comes along and adds more complexity. Let’s take a look at some over-the-counter options you can do at home and when you may want to consider a cosmetic procedure.
- At-home options: When you’re combating the visible signs of aging on the lips with over-the-counter products, ingredients are essential. We recommend Revision’s YouthFull Lip Replenisher which hydrates, soothes, and targets the signs of lip aging.
Choose products that include:
- Collagen and elastin stimulating growth factors
- DNA repair enzymes
- Hyaluronic acids
- Cosmetic Treatments: When over-the-counter products no longer cut it, your dermatologist can discuss options that can address concerns such as volume loss, signs of aging, and symmetry. For instance, lip filler treatments can provide greater volume to the lips and minimize fine lines around the mouth.
March 16th One-Day Special
In honor of Lips Appreciation Day, Alamo Heights Dermatology is offering a special for everyone wanting to show their smoochers some love. For March 16th only, we are offering 10% off our lip products. For more information, call us today at (210) 255-8447.