February is Cancer Prevention Month. More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year in the U.S. than all other cancers combined when it comes to dermatology. Most forms of skin cancer are preventable, so National Cancer Prevention Month is a great time to talk about how to protect your skin.
Comprehensive Approach to Prevention
The purpose of designated awareness times throughout the year is to drive change ultimately. Most skin cancer cases are due to UV radiation exposure from the sun. UV radiation from the sun isn’t just dangerous; it can reach you even when you’re trying to avoid it. The UV rays penetrate the clouds and glass and also bounces off the snow, water, and sand.
In addition, the damage from the sun accumulates over time from things like going to your car, checking the mail, walking the dog, and more. Therefore The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends a comprehensive approach to protection by doing the following:
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Don’t get sunburned.
- Avoid tanning, and never use UV tanning beds.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Use a broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day. Use a water-resistant, broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher for extended outdoor activity.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours or after swimming or excessive sweating. Find sunscreen by searching our Recommended Products.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Use sunscreen on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See a dermatologist at least once a year for a professional skin exam.
Skin Checks, Products, and Specials
Alamo Heights Dermatology can help you with your skincare checks and other preventative measures. We can also help evaluate and develop a treatment plan for any areas of concern. Our product store features top-of-the-line sun protection options in various formulas sure to meet any need from sporty to tinted.
You don’t want to miss our upcoming March product special, which features 10% off eltaMD and Colorescience sunscreen products. Call the skincare experts today at (210) 255-8447 or request an appointment online.