Stress Awareness Month is upon us, and while stress takes a toll on the entire body, its effects are more visible on the skin. The yearly initiative that kicks off every April aims to create awareness around the impacts of stress and provides education about healthy ways to manage it. But what if there were a way to fight the signs of aging and improve your mood? Growing evidence shows that Botox and other injectables may do just that.
The Growing Uses of Botox
Botulinum toxin or Botox is a derivative of a bacterial toxin. Botox injections work by temporarily weakening or relaxing specific muscles or blocking certain nerves. It’s commonly used to smooth the wrinkles around the forehead and eyes. However, Botox is also used to treat other conditions, including:
- Lazy eye. Corrects the imbalance in the muscles responsible for positioning the eye.
- Hyperhidrosis. Helps block the nerve signals responsible for underarm sweat.
- Chronic migraine. Botox injections may help reduce headache frequency for individuals experiencing more than 15 migraines a month.
- Bladder dysfunction. Botox injections can also help reduce urinary incontinence caused by an overactive bladder.
- Eye twitching. Relieves the tightening or twitching of muscles around the eye.
Botox and Mood
More research is needed to understand better why Botox works for some symptoms of depression, but the results thus far look promising. Some scientists believe that facial expressions can impact your emotional state. Because Botox temporarily weakens specific facial muscles, if you can’t frown, the thought is you won’t be as sad.
Another theory is that Botox also blocks signals from the part of the brain that’s linked with fear, anxiety, anger, and depression.
Restoring Self-Confidence is Our Passion
It seems the possibilities for Botox continue to grow, and we are here for it, honey. Regardless of the method used, restoring self-confidence is a natural byproduct of improving the skin’s appearance. You can’t always hide a chronic skin condition. This can be stressful and impact your mental health, relationships, social interactions, etc. Helping our patients reach their skin goals is a part of the passion driving the team here at Alamo Heights Dermatology.
We offer various types of wrinkle releasers and fillers:
- Dermal fillers help smooth wrinkles, enhance facial contours, plump the lips, and restore a more youthful appearance. We carry:
- Juvederm Ultra, Ultra Plus, Vollure, Volbella, Voluma, Restylane Refyne and Defyne and Lyft, Radiesse, Belotero, and Sculptra.
- Wrinkle releasers help visibly smooth frown lines, crow’s feet, and forehead lines. We carry:
- BOTOX® Cosmetic
- DYSPORT® (all registered trademarks)
To set up your appointment, call us at (210) 255-8447 or submit a request online here.